Alexander Nevsky Cathedral, Moscow

Was the largest of a series of cathedrals erected in Imperial Russia

Alexander Nevsky Cathedral, Moscow
pinterest button

The Alexander Nevsky Cathedral in Moscow was erected in commemoration of Alexander Nevsky, the patron saint of Emperors Alexander II and Alexander III.

It was conceived by Alexander Pomerantsev and Viktor Vasnetsov as a 70-metre-tall memorial to Alexander II's Emancipation reform of 1861.

Faundation

The foundation stone of the votive church was laid on Miusskaya Square (an industrial area in the northwest of Moscow) in 1911, on the 50th anniversary of the Emancipation Manifesto, in the presence of Grand Duchess Elizabeth Feodorovna.

Alexander Nevsky Cathedral, Moscow
pinterest button Alexander Nevsky Cathedral, Moscow Неизвестен, Public Domain

Construction did not start in earnest until 1913, and the First World War impeded further progress.

The first chapel was dedicated to St. Tikhon of Voronezh in 1915.

After the Revolution

After the Russian Revolution, the huge 17-domed church capable of accommodating more than 4,000 persons stood unfinished, while the Soviets debated whether to have it reconstructed into a crematory or a radio centre. 

It was the largest church in Moscow after the Cathedral of Christ the Saviour.

The dilapidated concrete shell was eventually torn down in 1952.

A Pioneers Palace was raised on the old foundation in 1960.

Useful Information

Alexander Nevsky Cathedral
Russian: Александро-Невский собор, Собор во имя святого благоверного Великого князя Александра Невского

Contacts

Miusskaya Square, Moscow
Миусская площадь, Москва