Moscow Paleontological Museum

It contains public exhibits representing almost every type of fossil organism

One of the halls of the museum
pinterest button

The Orlov Museum of Paleontology was founded by Paleontological Institute of Russian Academy of Sciencies in 1937 prior to the XVII session of the International Geological Congress.

Orlov Museum of Paleontology
pinterest button Orlov Museum of Paleontology   Simm, CC BY-SA 2.5

It is named after Yuri Alexandrovich Orlov (1893—1966).

It contains public exhibits representing almost every type of fossil organism. Particularly well represented are dinosaurs from Mongolia, therapsids from the Perm region of Russia, and Precambrian fossils from Siberia.

History

The museum started out as a branch of the Zoological Museum of Moscow University. When originally founded in 1937, the museum occupied 700 sq. m. in a building on Bolshaya Kaluzhskaya Street.

During the German-Soviet War the museum was closed and the major part of collection relocated to Alma-Ata.

In 1944 museum was reopened for the general public, but in 1954 it was closed again due to the shortage of display space.

In 1965 the USSR Council of Ministers granted 2 million rubles for the construction of the new museum building. However, construction works started only in 1972.

The renewed museum met the first visitors in 1987.

Useful Information

Orlov Museum of Paleontology Russian: Палеонтологический музей им. Ю. А. Орлова

Admission

adults: ₽250

Opening hours

  • Wed–Sun: 11:00–15:00

Contacts

123, Profsoyuznaya Street, Moscow 117647
117647 г. Москва, ул. Профсоюзная, д. 123

☎ +7 (495) 339-45-44
www.paleo.ru (Russian)