Tsaritsyno Park

The estate is known from the late 16th century, when it belonged to Tsarina Irina, sister of Tsar Boris Godunov

The main palace in Tsaritsyno
pinterest button

Tsaritsyno museum and reserve in Moscow was founded in 1984 in the park of the same name.

History

The estate is known from the late 16th century, when it belonged to Tsarina Irina, sister of Tsar Boris Godunov. At that time it was called Bogorodskoye. In the 17th century it belonged to the Streshnevs and then to the Galitzines.

Bazhenov's
pinterest button Bazhenov's «Opera House», 1776—1778. A.Savin, CC BY-SA 3.0

In 1775, the estate was bought by empress Catherine the Great, who happened to be passing through the area and fell in love with the picturesque beauty of the land. It received its present name, which means “Tsarina’s”.

In 1776-85 architect Vasili Bazhenov built a palace for the Empress there. When the palace was almost complete, the Empress visited Tsaritsyno to inspect it. She declared the rooms to be too cramped and dark, and the palace unlivable. As a result, Catherine ordered the palace to be torn down, and the architect was fired. The remnants of the foundation of Bazhenov's original palace are still visible in the park.

Figured bridge
pinterest button Figured bridge Корзун Андрей, CC BY-SA 3.0

In 1786, Matvey Kazakov presented new architectural plans, which were approved by Catherine. Kazakov supervised the construction project until 1796 when the construction was interrupted by Catherine's death. Her successor, Emperor Paul I of Russia showed no interest in the palace and the massive structure remained unfinished and abandoned for more than 200 years, until it was completed and extensively reworked in 2005-07.

Second Cavalry building
pinterest button Second Cavalry building A.Savin, CC BY-SA 3.0

Currently, in Tsaritsyno there are a history and architecture museum, a landscape park with an adjacent forest, an art museum, the Biryulyovo dendropark, and a cascade of the Tsaritsyno ponds.

Park

The 18th-century architecture ensemble was built (though not finished) following the order of Catherine II in Neo-Gothic style, after projects of the Bazhenov and Kazakov, and it is the only 18th-century architectural ensemble of such dimensions in Russia.

Arch between the Grand Palace and the Bread house
pinterest button Arch between the Grand Palace and the Bread house Корзун Андрей, CC BY-SA 3.0

Around the palace, in the park there are a number of pavilions, pergolas, arbours, artificial grottos, decorative bridges (early 19th century, architect I. Yegotov), and a Russian Orthodox temple “Source of Life”, as well as a modern recreation center with an upscale restaurant. For a long time most buildings were ruined (and used for rock climbing). In 2005—2007 most buildings were extensively restored and completed: roofs, interiors and decorations have been added and their historical appearance has been altered. A number of buildings house the Russian museum of folk and applied art. The atrium of the “Bread House” is used for concerts of Moscow musicians.

The park grounds contain the group of burial mounds that belong to the Early Slavs tribe Vyatichs dated to the 11th-13th century.

Tsaritsyno Park

Useful Information

Tsaritsyno Park
Дворцово-парковый ансамбль Цари́цыно

Admission

Combined ticket
This ticket gives admission to the Grand Palace and Bread House and same-month admission to the Opera House and Greenhouses.
Adult: 650 Rub
Senior/Student/Child aged 7–17/Disabled person: 200 Rub
Child under 7/ Student with ISIC/ICOM member: Free
Adult: 350 Rub
Senior/Student /Child aged 7–17/Disabled person: 80 Rub
Child under 7/ Student with ISIC*/ICOM member: Free
The Opera House
Adult: 200 Rub
Senior/Student /Child aged 7–17/Disabled person: 80 Rub
Child under 7/ Student with ISIC/ICOM member: Free
The Greenhouses (three greenhouses for one day)
Adult: 250 Rub
Senior/Student/Child aged 7–17/Disabled person: 80 Rub
Child under 7/ Student with ISIC/ICOM member: Free
Park
Free

Opening hours

  • Park
  • Daily: 06:00–24:00
  • Grand Palace, Bread House (Kitchen Quarters), Opera House (Middle Palace)
  • Tue to Fri: 11:00–18:00 (Last admission 17:30)
  • Sat: 11:00–20:00 (Last admission 19:30)
  • Sun and holidays: 11:00–19:00 (Last admission 18:30)
  • Mon: Closed
  • Greenhouses
  • Wed to Fri: 11:00–18:00 (Last admission 17:30)
  • Sat: 11:00–20:00 (Last admission 19:30)
  • Sun and holidays: 11:00–19:00 (Last admission 18:30)
  • Mon, Tues: Closed
  • Visitors Center
  • Tue to Fri: 11:00–16:30
  • Sat: 11:00–17:30
  • Sun and holidays: 11:00–17:30
  • Mon: Closed
  • Light dynamic fountain (May–October)
  • Daily: 9:00–23:00
  • Lighting: 21:00–23:00
  • Guided tours are available from Tue to Sun. Please book in advance. Tel: 8495 322 68 43.

Contacts

1 Dolskaya St., Moscow, 115569
115569, Москва, улица Дольская, д. 1

☎ +7 (499) 725 72 87
info@tsaritsyno.net
www.tsaritsyno-museum.ru

Location

Near Tsaritsyno metro and commuter suburb train stations&