Zaikonospassky monastery

The Zaikonospassky monastery was a monastery in Kitai-gorod, Moscow, just one block away from the Kremlin

Church of the Holy Mandylion at Zaikonospassky Monastery, Moscow
pinterest button

It was founded in 1600 by Boris Godunov. At first called «Saviour the Old», the cloister gradually acquired its present quaint name which alludes to its location and means «the Saviour behind the icon shops».

The katholikon is dedicated to the Holy Mandylion
pinterest button The katholikon is dedicated to the Holy Mandylion A.Savin, CC BY-SA 3.0

Between the late 17th to the early 19th century, the Zaikonospassky monastery was one of the enlightenment centers of Russia.

Between 1687 and 1814, it was home to the Slavic Greek Latin Academy, Russia's first secondary education establishment.

Church of the Holy Mandylion at Zaikonospassky Monastery, 1882
pinterest button Church of the Holy Mandylion at Zaikonospassky Monastery, 1882   N. A. Naydenov, Public Domain

Today's architectural ensemble includes the Saviour Cathedral (originally constructed in 1660—1661; rebuilt in 1717–1720 and 1742), several 17th-century chambers as well as a former school building which dates to 1822.

The Zaikonospassky monastery was closed after the October Revolution and later reopened as an institute of archives.

There is a memorial plaque in honor of Mikhail Lomonosov, who was once a student at the Slavic Greek Latin Academy.

Useful Information

Zaikonospassky monastery
Russian: Заиконоспа́сский монасты́рь

Admission

free

Opening hours

  • 8:00-18:00

Contacts

7-9 Nikolskaya str., Moscow 103012
103012, Москва, ул. Никольская, 7-9

☎ +7(495) 698-35-38
zaikonospasskiy.ru (in Russian)

Burials

  • Karion Istomin