Triumphal Arch of Moscow

The third and the oldest surviving Triumphal Arch in Moscow was built in 1829–34 on Tverskaya Gate Square to Joseph Bové's designs in order to commemorate Russia's victory over Napoleon

Triumphal Arch of Moscow
pinterest button

It replaced an earlier wooden structure built by the veterans of the Napoleonic Wars in 1814.

The arch was built in brick and lined with ashlar. The columns and statues were of cast iron. A seiuga (six-horse chariot) was designed by Giovanni Vitali.

Square of Tverskaja Zastava and Triumphal Gate in Moscow, 1920s
pinterest button Square of Tverskaja Zastava and Triumphal Gate in Moscow, 1920s unknown, Public Domain

The bilingual inscription in Russian and Latin ran as follows:

The arch was dismantled in 1936 as part of Joseph Stalin's reconstruction of downtown Moscow. Vitali's sculptures were then put on exhibit at an architectural museum on the grounds of the former Donskoy Monastery.

Tverskaya Zastava dressed up for the coronation of Nicholas II, 1896
pinterest button Tverskaya Zastava dressed up for the coronation of Nicholas II, 1896 unknown, Public Domain

After the Second World War there were plans to rebuild the structure in front of the Belarussian Railway Station.

The Triumphal Gate on Victory Square
pinterest button The Triumphal Gate on Victory Square   Simm, CC BY-SA 2.5

The current arch was built to Bove's original designs in 1966–68 in the middle of Kutuzovsky Avenue, close to the Victory Park. An open space surrounding the arch is known as the Victory Square.