Vysokopetrovsky Monastery

High Monastery of St Peteris a Russian Orthodox monastery in the Bely Gorod of Moscow commanding a hill whence Petrovka Street descends towards the Kremlin

Vysokopetrovsky Monastery, Church Of St. Sergius Of Radonezh, about 1695
pinterest button

The monastery is believed to have been founded in the 1320s by Saint Peter of Moscow, the first Russian metropolitan to move his see in Moscow.

The cloister gave its name to adjacent Petrovka Street, one of the streets radiating from Red Square.

Cathedral of St Peter  (built 1517) — at Vysokopetrovsky Monastery, central Moscow.
pinterest button Cathedral of St Peter (built 1517) — at Vysokopetrovsky Monastery, central Moscow. Ludvig14, CC BY-SA 3.0

In the late 17th century, the Naryshkin boyars, maternal relatives of Peter the Great, turned the monastery into their family burial place.

They had it reconstructed in the Naryshkin Baroque style of architecture associated with their name.

Vysokopetrovsky Monastery, Church Of Our Lady Of Bogolyubovo, 1684
pinterest button Vysokopetrovsky Monastery, Church Of Our Lady Of Bogolyubovo, 1684 Ludvig14, GNU 1.2

In the mid-18th century, several subsidiary structures were added, conceivably to designs by Dmitry Ukhtomsky or Ivan Fyodorovich Michurin.

Church of the Intercession above the monastery gates, with a belltower, about 1695
pinterest button Church of the Intercession above the monastery gates, with a belltower, about 1695 Ludvig14, GNU 1.2

The katholikon, dedicated to St Peter of Moscow, was long regarded as a typical monument of the Naryshkin style and dated to 1692.

In the 1970s the detailed studies of sources and excavations of the site revealed that the katholikon had been actually built in 1514—1517 by Aloisio the New.

Vysokopetrovsky Monastery, Naryshkins Cells (fragment)
pinterest button Vysokopetrovsky Monastery, Naryshkins Cells (fragment)   Ludvig14, GNU 1.2

In 1926 the monastery was closed. In 1992 several buildings of the monastery were returned to Russian Orthodox Church. As of 2005, the buildings are shared by the Russian Orthodox Church and the Moscow Literature Museum.

Useful Information

Vysokopetrovsky Monastery
High Monastery of St Peter
Russian: Высо́ко-Петро́вский монасты́рь

Admission

free

Opening hours

  • Mon–Sun: 7:00–19:00

Contacts

28/2 Petrovka street, Moscow 127051
127051, Россия, город Москва, улица Петровка, дом 28/2

☎ +7 495 623 75 80
mail@vpmon.ru
vpmon.ru

Structures

  • Cathedral of St Peter (1517).
  • Church of Our Lady of Bogolyubovo (with a refectory) (1687)
  • Church of St. Sergius of Radonezh (with a refectory) (1694)
  • Church of St. Pachomius the Great above the monastery gates (1755)
  • Church of Our Lady of Tolga (1750)
  • Church of the Intercession above the monastery gates, with a belltower. (1694)
  • Church (former chapel) of Our Lady of Kazan (inside the former gates under the belltower).