Ivanovskaya Square

Ivanovskaya Square is the largest Kremlin square

Ivanovskaya Square
pinterest button

Its name comes from the Ivan the Great Bell Tower.

Ivan the Great Square in Kremlin by Apollinary Vasnetsov
pinterest button Ivan the Great Square in Kremlin by Apollinary Vasnetsov Аполлинарий Михайлович Васнецов (1856–1933), Public Domain

In the 16th and 17th centuries, many government bodies were situated in the Ivanovskaya Square.

It was the site of the Prikazy, the equivalent of today's Ministries. Yamskoi Prikaz, one of the offices, handled the delivery of private letters. Thus, it became the first postal address in Moscow.

Court services and chanceries of various departments were also situated here.

From left to right: Tsar Bell, Chudov Monastery with the Metropolitan building, Church of the Annunciation, Small Nicholas Palace.
pinterest button From left to right: Tsar Bell, Chudov Monastery with the Metropolitan building, Church of the Annunciation, Small Nicholas Palace. Alexey Mironov, Public Domain

At the end of the 1920s and early 1930s, the square was enlarged after the demolition of the Lesser Nicholas Palace and the Ascension Convent.

The square today
pinterest button The square today Presidential Press and Information Office, CC BY-SA 3.0

Today, the square is cobbled like most of the territory of the Kremlin.

It offers a view of one of the three corners of the Kremlin Senate and the facade of the Presidium, one of the Kremlin’s administrative blocks that was erected in 1929, in place of the destroyed historic buildings.

 New Year's address to the citizens of Russia at Ivanovskaya Square
pinterest button New Year's address to the citizens of Russia at Ivanovskaya Square Фото пресс-службы Президента России, CC BY-SA 3.0

Founded: 1329

Useful Information

Ivanovskaya Square
Russian: Ивановская площадь