Boulevard Ring

The Boulevard Ring is Moscow's second centremost ring road (the first is formed by the Central Squares of Moscow running along the former walls of Kitai-gorod)

Boulevard Ring, Clean Ponds at night
pinterest button

Boulevards form a semicircular chain along the western, northern and eastern sides of the historical White City of Moscow; in the south the incomplete ring is terminated by the embankments of Moskva River.

Gogolevsky boulevard
pinterest button Gogolevsky boulevard Panther, GNU 1.2

The first of the boulevards, Tverskoy Boulevard, emerged in 1796 but the whole ring was developed in 1820s, after the disastrous 1812 fire.

Strastnoy Boulevard
pinterest button Strastnoy Boulevard SergeyStepykin, CC BY-SA 3.0

The Ring replaced the medieval walls of the White City in the 1820s. The wall itself was razed in 1760, and despite the royal decrees to keep the site clear, the area was soon built over with private and state property.

Chistoprudny Boulevard
pinterest button Chistoprudny Boulevard SergeyStepykin, CC BY-SA 3.0

The Fire of Moscow destroyed many of those buildings, allowing the city planners to replace them with wide green boulevards.

Pokrovsky Boulevard
pinterest button Pokrovsky Boulevard SergeyStepykin, CC BY-SA 3.0

In the 20th century, the width of the Boulevard Ring was expanded, as the formerly paved areas along the Pokrovsky Boulevard and Strastnoy Boulevard were planted with trees.

Boulevard Ring, Chistoprudny Boulevard
pinterest button Boulevard Ring, Chistoprudny Boulevard   Oleg Lastochkin, CC BY-SA 3.0

Plans to complete the ring through Zamoskvorechye never materialized, however. These plans to properly terminate the ring through Yakimanka and Zamoskvorechye districts, proposed in 1935, periodically resurface in city planners' discussions.

Founded: 1796, 1820s

Useful Information

The Boulevard Ring
Russian: Бульва́рное кольцо́
Translit: Bulvarnoye Koltso