Pushkinskaya Square

It was historically known as Strastnaya Square, and renamed for Alexander Pushkin in 1937

Poetry festival near the Pushkin Monument in Moscow
pinterest button

Pushkin Square in the Tverskoy District of central Moscow. It was historically known as Strastnaya Square, and renamed for Alexander Pushkin in 1937.

 Churches represented on this vintage photo have since been destroyed, with an exception of Nativity Church at Putinki
pinterest button Churches represented on this vintage photo have since been destroyed, with an exception of Nativity Church at Putinki неизвестен, Public Domain

It is located at the junction of the Boulevard Ring (Tverskoy Boulevard to the southwest and Strastnoy Boulevard to the northeast) and Tverskaya Street, 2 kilometres (1.2 mi) northwest of the Kremlin.

pre-revolutionaty russian postcard of Strastnoy Monastery, 1917
pinterest button pre-revolutionaty russian postcard of Strastnoy Monastery, 1917 неизвестен, Public Domain

It is not only one of the busiest city squares in Moscow, but also one of the busiest in the world.

The former Strastnaya Square name originates from the Passion Monastery (Russian: Страстной монастырь, Strastnoy Monastery), which was demolished in the 1930s.

Strastnaya Square, 1931
pinterest button Strastnaya Square, 1931 Branson DeCou (1892–1941), Public Domain

At the center of the square is a famous statue of Pushkin, funded by public subscription and opened by Ivan Turgenev and Fyodor Dostoyevsky in 1880.

“A policemen on Gorky street”. A policemen on Gorky street
pinterest button “A policemen on Gorky street”. A policemen on Gorky street Озерский, CC BY-SA 3.0

In 1950, Joseph Stalin had the statue moved to the other side of the Tverskaya Street, where the Monastery of Christ's Passions had formerly stood.