Vlakhernskoye-Kuzminki Estate

An estate formerly belonging to the Stroganov and Golitsyn families of the Russian nobility

Vlakhernskoye-Kuzminki Estate
pinterest button

Today, it is incorporated into Kuzminki-Lyublino historical park located in Moscow's Kuzminki District.

Vlakhernskoye-Kuzminki Estate model
pinterest button Vlakhernskoye-Kuzminki Estate model shakko, CC BY-SA 3.0

The estate was named after the Icon of Theotokos Vlakhernskaya, a copy of which was kept in the estate church.


In 1702 Peter the Great granted the estate to Grigori Stroganov. No buildings were erected on the property until after the death of the first owner in 1714.

Kuzminki. South facade of palace. By J.Rauh, 1820-es
pinterest button Kuzminki. South facade of palace. By J.Rauh, 1820-es J.Rauh, Public Domain

The new owner, Alexander Stroganov, began construction on the estate; in 1754 the estate passed to his widow.

After the marriage of her daughter Anna in 1757 to Prince Mikhail Golitsyn (1731–1804), the property passed to the Golitsyn family.

The end of linden avenue and palace in Kuzminki by J.Rauh, 1820-es
pinterest button The end of linden avenue and palace in Kuzminki by J.Rauh, 1820-es J.Rauh, Public Domain

From 1833 onwards, Vlakhernskoye-Kuzminki was a part of Golitsyns mayorate.

In 1889 a part of the estate was donated to Vlakhernsky hospital. In the course of the First World War, the manor house was converted to an officers' hospital.

The Manor house

The manor house was rebuilt several times in the second half of the 18th century. Side wings are connected with the main house by two semi-circular galleries. In the 1830s, the entrance of the manor court was decorated with iron cadelabra and griffins, designed by J. Colombo.

Kuzminki. Outbuilding
pinterest button Kuzminki. Outbuilding shakko, CC BY-SA 3.0

The manor house and its western wing burned down in 1916. In the late 1920s, a new building of the Institute of Experimental Veterinary Medicine was built on the spot. The western wing was renovated in the 1950s.

The wings of the manor house are operated by the Museum of History of Moscow and exhibit various collections, including those of the Museum of Russian Estate Culture.

The Estate Church

The church of the Blachernae Icon of Theotokos is located at the heart of the estate. The first wooden church was built here in 1716 by the Stroganovs in honour of the Blachernae Icon, a Stroganov family patron.

The construction of a stone church in the Baroque style began at the end of the 1750s.

In the 1780s, the church was rebuilt in Neoclassical style.

In the 19th century, it was rebuilt by Domenico Giliardi and Konstantin Bykovsky.

The Church of the Blachernitissa
pinterest button The Church of the Blachernitissa Marina Lystseva, CC BY-SA 3.0

The church has two side altars dedicated to Saints Alexander Nevsky and Sergius of Radonezh; several members of the Golitsyn family are interred at the church.

The church was closed in 1929 by order of the government and many of its ceremonial items were removed, the bell tower was also ruined and the building itself was badly damaged.

The church and the bell tower were restored in 1995 under the guidance of Yelena Vorontsova. In October 1995 the refurbished church was consecrated by the Patriarch of Moscow and all Russia, Alexy II.

Useful Information



guided tours: ₽100–250

Opening hours

  • Mon–Fri: 10:00–21:00
  • Sat–Sun: 10:00–17:00


10 Kuzminky Street, Moscow,109439
109439, Москва, ул. Кузьминская, д. 10

☎ (495) 377-35-93
www.kuzpark.ru (Russian)